Influential Images

1. Starving Child And Vulture, Kevin Carter, 1993

Kevin Carter was a member of the Bang-Bang0 Club, who shot photos in South Africa during the famine years. Carter was tiredly walking towards an open bush when he heard whimpering and saw a toddler collapsed on the ground. When Carter took the photo, a vulture landed and waited to see if the bird would open its wings. It didn’t so Carter scared it away and watched the child walk towards a feeding center. I chose this image because I have seen it in the past and it always fascinates me.

2. Bosnia, Ron Haviv, 1992

American Ron Haviv was given access by the Tigers, a brutal militia who warned him not to take any photos of the killings. Haviv was determined to document the cruelty he was witnessing and when the militia had killed a Muslim woman, he decided to risk it. His image was published on TIME and brought attention to the conflict in Bosnia. I chose this image because it caught my attention when I was scrolling as it shows a soldier about to kick someone.

3.  Famine In Somalia, James Nachtwey, 1992

James Nachtwey traveled to Somalia to capture the spiraling famine at the time. He had received support from the Red Cross who helped him. Nachtwey captured many haunting images including the one above who showed a woman being taken to a feeding center in a wheelbarrow. When he returned his photo was published on the cover of New York Times Magazine and caught the attention of many. The Red Cross reported that the publics support made this the largest operation since World War II. 1 and 1/2 million people were saved. The way the photo was shot caught my eye.